Thursday, August 19, 2010

About Soccer and Church

I'm really enjoying my kindergarten class.  I have a boy named Larry and he has a brother who lives in Seoul.  Larry talks about his brother a lot and whenever he does he refers to him as his "Seoul brother"...   (get it 'soul brother). I can't help but smile every time and I'm sure he's oblivious as to how funny he is.
Another highlight of being in Korea so far has been being able to play soccer.  Every Tuesdays (and potentially more in the future) a group of foreign teachers meet to play soccer.  We don't play on a full soccer field though, we play on a soccer field that has been divided up into three smaller fields and then green netting has been put around each field.  It's like playing in a netting cage and it's called "Footsall" - it's an international sport.  So that's been really good.
On Sunday I did end up going to the English church and I really enjoyed it.  It was held in a room in a bigger (office looking) building.  There were only about 30 people there but the pastor is on holidays so I think more will attend when he gets back.  The people were really welcoming and after the service they invited everyone to a beach about 20 minutes north of Pohang.  I went and it was fun.  I met some of the members and they were very willing to share some Pohang knowledge with me.  So I'm happy about that, and I'm looking forward to going back.
Overall I'm doing pretty well.  The school days are long and it's hard to make it through some of them.  And I think the jet-leg waited a week and then hit me last week, so I'm somewhat behind on sleep.  But I'm enjoying it and already it has been a rewarding challenge.
This was taken at the beach we went on Sunday.  The area around Pohang is really hilly/mountainous and beautiful and I'm looking forward to hiking in it some day.  Tents are common on Korean beaches.  Sun exposure is frowned upon here so everyone wears full clothing at the beach.

This is me and Khemarin at the beach.  He is a law student here in Pohang and he's from Indonesia (or Cambodia).  He's really nice and he told me that I can get free western food at his school.  And he told me how to get to his school.  The water was pretty cold but Khemarin didn't seem to mind.

Thank you for reading.
Mike

1 comment:

  1. Great to hear about soccer and church highlights. Interesting that your student's name is Larry--such an English name. Do all the students choose English names for English class? The mountains around the city are so beautiful--I would expect hiking to be a tourist attraction in that area.
    Miss you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete