Monday, February 28, 2011

Change

Things have changed quite dramatically at Poly School.  We have just finished the school year which means that my wonderful kindergarten class has now graduated and moved on to bigger and better things.  The kindergarten graduation was on Friday and it involved a picture slide show, a handing out of diplomas and awards, speeches by each student, speeches by the three foreign kindergarten teachers and the three Korean teachers, a speech by the director, a speech by a parent, and many emotions and some tears.  I was happy with it.  It was done well.
Here's the slide show (made by Natasha):


Afterward, parents and students came up to the classrooms and I was able to say one last goodbye, pictures were taken, gifts were given, and that was the end.  Some of my students I will see again because they will come back for elementary classes, so that's awesome.  But some of them I will not see again and that makes me sad.
Our new semester starts Wednesday (because Tuesday is a holiday, woot woot), and then I will find out who my next class will be.  I'm curious what age I'll teach.
Then we're also loosing some teachers.  Tim and Natasha have just finished their contracts.  Tim is leaving as we speak, I just heard him clomp down the stairs, and Natasha leaves tomorrow morning.  A new foreign teacher, Annalisa, arrived this week.  She's Canadian and has traveled a lot so I'm sure she's going to do a good job.  Also, four Korean teachers are leaving Poly.  We haven't met their replacements yet.
Tonight, we had a good last dinner altogether and then said goodbye.  I'll miss our group.  I liked them all and I'm never too excited for change.  Also, with Tim and Natasha leaving, I've become the second most senior foreign teacher at Poly, which is sort of different - not the newbey anymore.

And for the weekly Korean culture tidbit, I want to talk about military service in Korea.  Korea is one of only eleven countries who make military service mandatory for all males.  For a period of 21 months all Korean young men have to join one part of the military. Really, all I know about it is  from what I've read on a Korean's blog and the author, who had done his service, seemed to see it as a good life experience.  I think it's pretty interesting and it surely has an affect on the culture.  It also makes me glad I wasn't born in a country where military service is mandatory.

Tomorrow is Korean Independence Movement day where Korea celebrates gaining independence from the Japanese.  It'll be nice not to have school.  I'm hopeful that I'll be able to get the scooter fixed.

Thanks for reading.
Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment