Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Did you know that astronauts and spaceships that are in orbit are actually in a perpetual fall?  They're falling around the earth.  They're travelling at enough speed that their fall takes them around the curve of the earth.  That's what being in orbit is.  And that's why there seems to be no gravity.  There is gravity, but everything is falling at the same speed.
If you could throw a ball fast enough (over 8000 meters/second) the ball's fall would align with the curve of the earth and it would never hit the ground! It would be in orbit!
This is what I learned today in my middle school physics lesson on gravity.  Hopefully, this is what my students learned as well.

Changing the subject; there are a lot of people on this small peninsula.  Did you realize that Korea has 14 million more people than Canada, while Canada has 9 884 950 more sq km of land than Korea? I was reminded again about this major difference between Canada and Korea this past weekend.  I went for a run in what I thought was a secluded area outside of the city.  On the way I saw a group of at least 100 kids and their parents, around 30 ajummas all decked out in their colourful walking attire, a whole other village, and when I thought I finally found a trail all to myself, I ran into a good sized rice farm.  It's hard to get away in this country.  I didn't realize how lucky I was growing up with the quarry behind our house.

I'm in need of a good sleep so I'm going to leave it at that.

Thanks for reading.
Go Canucks.
Michael

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your short and sweet blog, Mike. Yah, I thought Toronto had rather high people density until I spoke to residents of Beijing, and Shanghai, and Hong Kong, and visited Seoul. Enjoy the many people with their unique personalities and gifts, all loved by God!
    May you also have your place to get away and refresh.
    I hope you are catching up on your sleep.
    Luv yah. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike,
    Isn't teaching fun... always learning something new? Interesting note about the high population density of S. Korea considering the country is so mountainous. Have a good weekend,
    Love yah,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete