Thursday, January 12, 2012

I played hockey! on ice!  I've mentioned the ice rink nearby.  I found out that some of my friends play there every Tuesday and Thursday night.  And I joined them this past Tuesday.  What it is, is a team of young guys, students most of them, practicing by playing games against a group of old guys, some of them dads of the students.  We played for the old guys of course.  They had an extra pair of skates that fit and quite a bit of extra equipment as well.  So I got out there, and it was awesome.  I hadn't realized how much I had missed skating or playing hockey until I had the chance.  Now, it's all I can think about.  I'm even watching a recent NHL game online as I type this.  I've also missed Hockey Night In Canada.  Other than a fantasy hockey league that I'm a part of with some of these guys, I've been mostly cut off from all my usual sports pursuits of back home.

The other big news here is that our school, Poly, is moving.  Right now we live in Changsong-dong, a developing neighbourhood to the North of the city.  I guess, when the school was built here, they thought the area would develop faster than it is.  Now, instead of waiting any longer, they're moving to where there's more people - I-dong, a much more developed neighbourhood to the South of the city.  But where there are more people, there are also more academies - more competition.  I'm a little doubtful that this move is going to pay off.  We've already lost quite a few students because of it.  But I guess we'll see.  We're somewhat excited to move to I-dong because that's where a lot of our friends live.  But that's only if we, the teachers, actually move with the school.  As of now, the directors haven't told us yet if we will be moving.  It would be a 20 minute commute by scooter and an hour by bus, so we'd all be pretty put-out if we didn't move.  We're prepared to let the directors know about our frustration if this is the case, but I'm hopeful that it won't come to this.

If you haven't yet seen the pictures and videos I posted of Cambodia below, you should.
Thanks for reading,
Michael

3 comments:

  1. Yay, hockey on ice! While you are excited about Canadianisms in Korean, Dad, Ingrid and I had a taste of Korea in Canada. We ate at the Korean Grill House and then watched a Soulpepper performance of Kim's Convenience--a play written by Ins Choi, a Korean Canadian about a Korean convenience store in Regent Park in Toronto. It was so well done! Yay, culture!
    Love yah,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, you got the chance to play hockey in South Korea. That's cool. I look forward to the day that I might be able to play hockey with you again!
    We pray that the questions around the school's relocation not be too stressful to you, Alisa, and the other teachers.
    Luv yah. Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hip Hip Hooray for hockey! one of my best memories is of the christmas in scarborough when the whole family even mom played road hockey.

      pv

      Delete