Friday, October 15, 2010

My thumb - it's broken

I broke my thumb.  The crack isn't all the way through so I think it's actually called a fracture.  It's hard for me to tell the story of how it happened because it's embarrassing, but here it goes:  So, on the way home from school we walk through an apartment complex that sometimes has donation stuff out near the road.  This is where I got my dresser.  On Monday we walked past this place and saw a pretty nice bookshelf.  We stopped to investigate and I also discovered a pair of rollerblades.  Now, I haven't been able to rollerblade since I've gotten here because I don't have mine with me, so I was pretty excited when I saw these.  I tried them on and of course they didn't fit (it's hard to find shoes here that fit most average North American men), but I could squeeze my feet in them.  I decided to rollerblade home for fun.  But then there was also the bookshelf.  I decided that since the bookshelf wasn't too heavy, and since I'm Canadian and awesome at rollerblading, I would just carry the bookshelf home on my rollerblades.  That's what I did.  And it was going great until I started to get quite a bit too confident and maybe forgot that I had a bookshelf in my hands and I wanted to practice my backwards skating.  In the end I hit a manhole cover, fell backwards and somehow had the bookshelf land on my thumb.
  I now have a temporary splint on and it doesn't hurt all that much anymore.  I was also given these little plastic packages with 4 multicoloured pills inside and told to take one package after each meal - that's 12 pills a day... crazy eh?  But apparently that's how they do it in Korea.  Others tell me that they get similar pill packages whenever they go to the hospital for something like a common cold.  And I don't even know what the pills do, they're just supposed to help.
  So that's my thumb.

  Today I had my first parent observation.  This meant that I had all my kindergarten's parents come into our class for two lessons and watch us.  It's sort of a big deal here because the parent's attitude towards Poly school, most of the time, is of the highest importance.  It's so important that it seems that these parent observations have, over time, evolved to student performances that your class practices for.  So I was nervous, my co-teacher was nervous, and the directors always seem a little bit nervous.  But I thought it went well, and more importantly my co-teacher thought so too.  It's nice to be finished with it.  Tomorrow we're going on a field trip to some botanical gardens; so that'll be good.

Thanks for reading.
Michael

1 comment:

  1. That is hilarious (and very much not so!) But man, what a story. I hope you still got the bookshelf home, at least. Take care. . .and no more backwards skating!

    ReplyDelete