Friday, November 5, 2010

Starting Up Month Number Four

I took my cast off.  It wasn't as easy as I thought it would be though.  I thought that if I would just soak it in water for a while the cast would become soft and flexible, but that didn't happen.  So it took quite a while until I was able to cut my way through it with a scissors and a knife.  I was surprised by how ugly my thumb looks.  It's still a little bit puffy and my nail is all black and gross.  But I'm happy that the cast is off.  I took it off because I didn't think it was helping any more, and I was tired of not being able to use my hand.  I think using my hand helps my thumb heal quicker anyway.

I also bought new glasses.  I've been loosing quite a few things during the time I've been in Korea, and one of those things was my glasses.  But buying new glasses here in Korea is really cheap.  The eye test and the glasses cost 6,000 won ($60) total; which is a quarter of the cost of buying glasses in North America.

School continues to go relatively smoothly.  It has it's goods and bads.  I enjoy my morning Kindergarten class more than my afternoon Elementary classes.  I'm learning that parent complaints will always be an issue.  But really, when I think about it, I'm in a pretty great situation here.  The kids are mostly great, there isn't a lot of stress involved, and I'm in a completely new part of the world.  I just have to keep reminding myself of this fact because it has been easy to forget.
Halloween was fun.  Every kid dressed up in store bought costumes and we had a party, which included a model-type runway walk where everyone had a chance to strut their stuff.  Then tomorrow we have a sports day, which I'm excited about.

I'm playing a lot of soccer lately.  We have our weekend games, our Tuesday Futsal practices, and then tonight we had another pick-up Futsal game.  It's always fun.  But it's late now, so I'm going to say goodnight.

Thanks for reading,
Mike

2 comments:

  1. Mike,
    I would have thought that you needed to go into the hospital or something to have them remove your cast - and to give some expert advice about whether it was time. On the other hand, of any Velthuizen sibling, you are the most experienced in bone breaks and casts. :)
    It's great fun reading your blog each week. Keep up the hope, the vision, and the faith. That was the sermon today. :)
    Greg and I are taking an intense bible study at a church in Manhattan. We're trying to read 14 chapters from Psalms and Paul's letters in one week! (we're a bit behind) But reading has been great and I keep praying to find a good habit.
    Love you!
    Jolene (and Greg too)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael! Reading your blog is so fun! You do such a great job. You write just how you talk and it's wonderful to read. The comment was made by someone, that they are enjoying Korea vicariously thru your blog. I'm sure that's true for many. Thankyou so much for all your words, pictures, and authenticity!
    (aunt)Marlene

    ReplyDelete